Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Touch and go

Half way through the 2015 Chesham Touch league and it’s played 5, won 5 for my team, 'Dave's Dad’s Dog’s Dead'.

Not that it’s the winning that matters – this will sound horribly corny but it really is the taking part that counts and the fact that I’m able to play at all given my recent sciatica scare has been a huge, huge bonus (and, believe me, no chickens are being counted at this stage).

What has surprised me is that, as the weeks pass by, I believe that I am making more and more of a contribution to the team. It's more than possible that I'm a little delusional, but I’m certainly feeling fitter, helped no doubt by the fact that I’m around a stone and a half lighter than last year.

Last night saw the team beat the Angry Leprechauns convincingly, playing some great Touch, especially in the first half. I was even able to get on the scoresheet for the first time this campaign, racing the full length of the field to score.

That last bit was a lie. I did score, but it was the equivalent of an open goal, taking a scoring pass less than a metre from the line.

Also on show last night, much to the delight of all attending, was a classic TF “show and go”. Or, to be more accurate, a “show, begin to go, realise that the legs won’t do it any more, attempt a miracle pass and be intercepted.” My trademark move, I like to think.

2 comments:

Von said...

"Not that it’s the winning that matters – this will sound horribly corny but it really is the taking part that counts"

Bollocks. How much more enjoyable is it when you win?

Total Flanker said...

Of course, but after missing last summer's Touch season with a knackered back which also threatened to scupper this summer's efforts, I'm genuinely just happy to be out there running around, no matter what the result.