Sunday, 18 April 2010

Stand Up

On a glorious sunny (perhaps too sunny, if the colour of my face is anything to go by) afternoon yesterday I, and the rest of the Flanker family, headed down to Wembley Stadium to take in the Saracens v Harlequins match.
Despite Sarries being my local professional club I've by no means been a regular at Vicarage Road over the years, due largely to apathy, pressure on family time and, latterly, reservations about the club turning into some sort of Saffa expat haven. With the kids now old enough, however, the opportunity to check out the new Wembley was difficult to resist.

The Stadium was mightily impressive - very accessible from the tube station and despite our seats being halfway up at one end of the ground there was always the feeling of being close to the action (something sorely lacking at Twickenham, for example) - amazing really in such a large stadium. Inevitably the only downside was the cost of food and drink - I expected to pay 4 quid for a pint, but over £15 for 2 cheeseburgers + chips is taking the piss.

As a marketing ploy, however, the occasion must be deemed a great success for Saracens, with over 47,000 turning up to watch a thoroughly entertaining game as well as pre-match entertainment from a variety of acrobats, circus performers, cheerleaders and not forgetting the mostly forgotten Right Said Fred.

As well as my first time at the new Wembley it was also the first time I'd heard the new Saracens anthem - "Stand Up for the Saracens" - performed by the aforementioned bald pairing. I'm sad to report that it is ridiculously catchy, so much so that I woke in the night with it still bouncing around my head and am still humming it as I type. Check it out below if you seriously want to ruin your day:





As for the match itself, it was something of a revelation with both sides seeking to run the ball at every opportunity. Long gone, it appears, are the kick and chase days of the Autumn. After an opening 10 minutes during which Quins looked the more cohesive side, Sarries scored 2 quick tries against the run of play via their very impressive (and English) openside Andy Saul, then dominated proceedings for the next hour, running in 5 tries in total before Quins responded with 2 late consolation tries.

Final score 37-18: Stand Up for the Saracens!

1 comment:

Nursedude said...

I guess this will be a better legacy for Right Said Fred than "I'm too Sexy for my Shirt". It does look like he is still keeping himself in pretty good shape.